- 1 out of every 5 who actually washed hands did not dry them
- Paper towels were the preferred method of hand drying over air blowers or using their clothing in public toilets
- Paper dispensers were installed at the observation site to check preference against air blowers
- Only 18% used air blowers
- 13% used their clothing
- Preference for paper towels was equal for both sexes
- Young and middle adults of both sexes had the highest preference for paper towels (around 75%)
What motivated people to prefer paper towels?
- Because they are 'personal' and untouched but most of all because it was seen as the fastest method of drying hands.
- People also like the sense of 'closure' from drying with a paper towel.